Here’s how you can fix 0x80070002 or 0x80070003 error code which comes while using Windows Update feature. It’s one of the common issues which arises on Windows PC (desktop / laptop). Don’t worry, we have its solution.
The error codes may be different at times. It can also be 80070003 or 0x80070003 too. However, both codes refer to the same issue. Let’s dig deep into it and resolve the problem. Scroll down a little bit.
Why does the error 0x80070002 occur?: Cause/Reason
You may encounter different error codes on different versions of Windows OS. In Windows 10 / 8 / 7, you may see the error code 80070002 while Windows XP may show your 0x80070002 error code.
The reason behind the issue is the missing files of the Windows Update or they have been corrupted. It may occur even after the successful download, extraction, or due to the faulty driver too. So, go through the mentioned fixes until your problem is solved.
How to Fix Error 0x80070002?
Some solutions are mentioned below which can help you in resolving the issue – error 0x80070002. Try one by one to solve the problem. It may turn out that you may not need to try all of them. Let’s know which one worked for you.
Fix 1: Check the Date and Time settings
It may not sound as a possible solution to many for fixing 0x80070002 error code. However, if has worked for many Windows users in the past. So, you can give it a try. One culprit behind the problem could be the incorrect time/date settings.
We will make sure that your PC’s time is synchronized with the Internet time server.
- For Windows 7/8
- Click on Date and Time button on the bottom right screen, then click on Change Date and Time Settings.
- Select Change Date and Time, and make sure that your PC is displaying the correct time and date. Then, click OK.
- Click on Change Time Zone, and make sure that the time zone is correct. Then, click OK.
- Click on Internet Time tab, then click Change Settings
- If not, check the box next to Synchronize with an Internet time server, and click Update Now, and then click OK.
- Again, click OK to finish the settings.
- Next step is to restart the PC and try WindowUpdate again.
- For Windows 10
- Type cmd in the search box next to the Windows button on the bottom left of the screen.
- Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Click Yes to confirm the action.
- Then, type time, date, and w32tm/resync respectively in the black window of command prompt. After typing one at a time, press Enter to execute the command. If time and date are wrong, type the correct ones and press Enter.
- After executing all the commands, reboot the computer. Then, open the Windows Update and try to reUpdate.
Fix 2: Update device drivers
Another culprit could be the outdated or missing drivers. You can manually update the device drivers by first uninstalling them from the Device Manager. Then, downloading the updated drivers matched with your Windows OS from their official website. Finally, installing them to solve the issue.
This may require a little time of yours and some computer skills.
Fix 3: Modify the Windows Update installation files
One of the reasons behind error 0x80070002 could be the failure of system update process. As a result, the Windows Update installation files gets corrupted or goes missing.
You can give it a try by deleting the installation files or renaming the installation folder to solve the problem.
Before modifying the files or folders, we need to stop the WindowsUpdate service. It’s because without doing it, you won’t be able to modify the required ones. Do as the following steps say:
- Method 1: Disable the Windows Update service
- Press Windows Logo key + R to launch the Run box.
- Type services.msc and press Enter to launch Windows Servies window.
- Double click on the Windows Update (for Win10/8/7), if you are using Windows XP, you need to double click Automatic Updates.
- Click on the Startup type and change it to Automatic. Click on Start in the Service Status and click Apply. Then, click OK to save.
- Now, reboot the computer and try updating Windows once again.
If it doesn’t work, move to the next solution.
- Method 2: Delete the Software Distribution Folder
- Double click on C drive (where your Windows is installed)
- Go to folder Windows and look for folder named SoftwareDistribution
- Delete SoftwareDistribution, if prompted for password or confirmation, do it. In case, you don’t want to delete it, you can rename it to SoftwareDistributionOld.
- Close all the Window panes.
- Method 3: Re-enable the Windows Update service
- Press Windows Key + R to launch the Run box.
- Type services.msc and press Enter
- Click on Windows Update and then, click on Start.
- Reboot the system and try WindowsUpdate again.
Fix 4: Try Windows Update Troubleshooter
Whenever you find youself in some of WinOS Update trouble, don’t mind using Windows Update Troubleshooter. Follows the steps.
- Go to Microsoft official website and dowload the troubleshooter from here – https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/4027322/windows-windows-update-troubleshooter
- Once downloaded, run the file.
- Click Windows Update
- Click Next
- In the next step, it will try to resolve the issue.
- Once completed, you may need to restart the PC and trying WindowsUpdate again.
Still, if doesn’t work, move to next fix.
Method 5: Modify Registry Editor
Do as the following instructions say.
- Triger the Run box by pressing Windows Logo key + R on the kwyboard
- Type regedit and click OK. If prompted, click Yes to confirm to use it as administrator.
- The, proceed to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade.
- Right click on the emppty right side pane, after selecting the OSUpgrade key. Then, click New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Right click on the newly created NewValue#1 and select Modify.
- Rename the new value to AllowOSUpgrade. Then, double click on the number under Value data and enter 1. After that Hexadecimal and click OK.
- Then, reboot the system and try updating Windows again.
The above 5 are the common fixes which have helped to fix 0x80070002 error code in Windows Update. Many users have been benefitted from them. Let’s know which method, if helped you.