Here’s how you can fix USB Device Not Recognized. The rest of the error message comes “The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it”. It is displayed when Windows 10 PC fails to connect USB drive or device.
The error message appears whenever windows 10 fails to understand a linked usb drive/device. Even though there’s no exact option for fixing the problem, you may try out one of the following solutions to fix the issue in windows 10.
Fix USB Device Not Recognized
Solution 1: Restart Windows 10 PC
Most of the times, an easy rebooting of the computer fixes maximum of the not unusual windows errors. So, before doing something else, truly carry out a restart after saving your work and remaining running applications. After that, remove the USB device and restart the computer. Connect the drive after the reboot is complete.
Check: Chrome Flash Player.
Solution 2: Disconnect PC from Power Source & Reconnect after 15 minutes
This seemingly-dumb idea has worked a lot of times in case of USB device is not recognized issue. So, you need to first shut down the computer/laptop and then, remove the power cable from the source. Keep it disconnected for 10 to 15 minutes before reconnecting it.
Solution 3: Try Connecting the USB Drive to Other Ports
It may work at sometimes. This method might not work all the time, but you might not get the USB device not recognized notification all times. In case you are running a desktop computer, try connecting the USB drive/device to the USB ports available on the backside of the case.
Solution 4: Update the USB Driver
Follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Right click on Start Button and click on Device Manager to open it.
- After expanding the Serial Bus Controllers option, look for any available-unknown USB device. If there is any, right click on it and select Update Driver Software. Then, click on Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software. It will let Windows 10 to automatically download and install the latest drivers.
Solution 5: Update Generic USB Hub(s) drivers
Here are the required steps.
- Open Device Manager, and expand Serial Bus Controllers to check one or more Generic USB Hubs.
- If there are more than one Hubs, right click on the first and click on the Update Driver Software -> Browser my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> select Generic USB Hub -> Next.
In no time, you will see a message stating “Windows has successfully updated your driver software.”
Solution 6: Re-install USB Drivers
WARNING: It is recommended to create a System Restore Point or image backup before trying to reinstall USB drivers or making any important/significant change. It’s done incase anything goes wrong, you can revert back to the previous condition.
Incase you don’t find any unknown device driver under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, go for all USB device drivers by following below instructions.
- Open the power user menu by right-clicking on the Start Button. Then click on Device Manager to open it.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> right click on the first driver -> Uninstall -> OK. Do this step for all the entries.
- Restart the PC to re-install the drivers.
As stated earlier, Windows might not be able to install USB drivers. In such cases, you can utilize the System Restore Point option to restore to the previous working condition.
If none of the above solutions/fixes work, then try connecting the device to two to three PCs. If the drive fails there too, then there might be some problem with it else your ports might have been damaged.